27 e 28/04/2017 - Workshop “New Perspectives on the Form and Meaning of (Bare) Nominals”
The research team of the project ‘A cross-linguistic comparison of the role of number and gender in nominal expressions’, sponsored by University of São Paulo (Brazil) and Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, invites researchers interested in the structure of nominal expressions to join us in the workshop ‘New Perspectives on the Form and Meaning of (Bare) Nominals’, to be held at USP on April 27th and 28th, 2017 . We are particularly interested in discussing the properties of (bare) nominals in a comparative perspective. Some topics of interest are listed below:
1. What is the role of the determiner in nominal expressions?
2. What are the role of number and gender features in nominal expressions?
3. What differs mass from count nouns?
4. Does the differentiation between mass and count nouns take place in the lexicon or in the syntax?
5. Which is less specified: bare singulars or plurals?
We will have three invited lectures, four presentations by project members, and 8 selected talks.
Invited Speakers: Ana Muller (USP), Patrícia Rodrigues (UFPR), and Roberta Pires de Oliveira (UFSC)
How to arrive at FACULDADE DE LETRAS
When arriving at Butantã metro station, you can either take a bus or a taxi. For bus, take line 8012-10 (Cid. Universitária, Circular 2; ticket price: 3.80 reais). Get off at Biblioteca Brasiliana bus stop, cross the street and walk until you see a sign that says 'Departamento de Letras' (Avenida Professor Luciano Gualberto, 403). Our room is on the second floor.
Program: Click here